- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2½ pounds sirloin tip, trimmed of excess fat and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2½ cups beef stock
- 2½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1½ teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 3 cups button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups pearl onions, peeled and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon (4) garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 cup Frigo® Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 1 (12-ounce) package egg noodles, cooked for 5 minutes, drained
- 1 (8-ounce) package (2 cups) Frigo® Fresh Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 4 green onions, green tops sliced thin on the bias
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 9x13-inch casserole dish and set it to the side.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large pan over medium-high heat. Then, season the steak with the Chinese five-spice powder, black pepper and salt, and add it to the hot pan. Turn the heat to high and cook the steak until it’s seared on all sides but still pink in the center, about 3–5 minutes. (Note: You do not need to cook the meat through. It will cook more in the oven.)
Remove the sirloin from the pan, scraping it into a large bowl and set it aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, cornstarch and whole grain mustard and set the mixture to the side.
Add the remaining butter to the pan and cook the mushrooms and pearl onions on medium-high heat until they’re browned and the onions are fork tender, about 5 minutes. Then, turn the heat up to high, add the garlic and herbs to the pan and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Stir in the beef stock mixture and continue to cook on high for 3 minutes or until it thickens slightly.
While still on the heat, gently stir in the Frigo® Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese and cream cheese. Stir until the cheese is thoroughly incorporated and cook until it’s warmed through and simmering. Then, pour the ricotta mixture into the bowl with the steak and gently fold in the egg noodles. Taste and season to your liking.
Transfer to the prepared casserole dish, sprinkle the shredded Frigo® Fresh Mozzarella Cheese and sliced green onions on top and bake for 10–15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Recipe courtesy of Emily Ellyn, Retro Rad Chef. Find more recipes at www.EmilyEllyn.com.