- 5 cups
- 3 large shallots, minced
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely shredded
- 1 medium onion, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1 (12-ounce) beer, preferably a light-bodied ale
- ½ tablespoon thyme, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, minced or ground in spice grinder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Frigo® Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
- 1 (8-ounce) package Frigo® Whole Milk Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pickled cabbage, for garnish
In a large sauté pan set over medium-high heat, sauté the shallots, carrots, onion and salt in 2 tablespoons of the butter, until the carrots are soft and the onions are translucent, about 8–10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepot, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter on medium-high heat. Add the flour all at once, whisking vigorously. When the mixture thins and starts to bubble, reduce the heat to low and cut back on the whisking. Cook until your roux is a sandy consistency and has a toasty aroma, about 1 minute. At this point, whisk in the stock and allow the mixture to simmer on low until you’re ready to incorporate it with the onion-carrot mixture.
When the onions are translucent and the carrots tender, gently mix in the beer, thyme, caraway seeds and black pepper. Cook on medium-high heat until the beer has lost its fizz, for at least 5 minutes. Then, remove it from the heat.
Pour the onion-carrot mixture into a blender or food processor with the Frigo® Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese and carefully blend the warm mixture until it’s pureed smooth. Then, whisk the pureed mixture into the simmering stock in the saucepot and bring it to a rolling boil. Reduce the heat to medium and fold in the Frigo® Whole Milk Mozzarella Cheese. Cook until the cheese has melted, about 3 minutes. Then, add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve garnished with the pickled cabbage, additional shredded Frigo® Whole Milk Mozzarella Cheese, sautéed shallots and/or fresh thyme. Enjoy with bread.
Rad Tip: Keep it simple on game day by making the soup the day before. Rewarm gently and thin with additional stock, as necessary.
Recipe courtesy of Emily Ellyn, Retro Rad Chef. Find more recipes at www.EmilyEllyn.com.
Ricotta|Mozzarella Cheese Recipes
Breakfast Caprese Mozzarella Melt
MozzarAle Beer & Cheese Soup