- Prep Time (mins)
- 25 mins.
- Cook Time (mins)
- 1 hr.
- 4 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 1 cup raw pearl barley
- Olive oil, for cooking
- 6–8 medium red, yellow or orange bell peppers, tops sliced off or halved, seeds removed
- 1 cup red onions, diced small
- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled and diced small
- 2 tablespoons (4 cloves) garlic, finely minced
- ½ tablespoon Chinese five spice
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- 1 (5-ounce) container Frigo® Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
- 1 orange, juiced and zested
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¾ cup Frigo® Shaved Parmesan Cheese
- ¾ cup sunflower seeds, roasted and salted
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
In a medium saucepot, heat the beef stock and pearl barley on high heat until the stock starts to boil. Stir once, then reduce the heat to medium heat and cover for 25 minutes. (The liquid should cook just below a rolling boil.) Do not stir during this time.
Meanwhile, prepare an oven-safe sauté pan or shallow baking dish by lightly coating it with olive oil. Add the peppers to the pan and lightly coat them with olive oil. Reserve the peppers to the side for assembly.
Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once it’s hot, add the red onion and sweet potato. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion becomes translucent and soft, about 5–8 minutes. While stirring, add the minced garlic, Chinese five spice and baby arugula and cook until the arugula starts to wilt, 1–2 minutes. Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the Frigo® Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese, orange juice and zest and cranberries.
Remove the barley from the burner and fold it into the Frigo® Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese mixture. Then, spoon the filling into the peppers and top them with the Frigo® Shaved Parmesan Cheese and sunflower seeds.
Bake the peppers in the oven for 25 minutes or until they are easily cut with a fork and knife.
Recipe courtesy of Emily Ellyn, Retro Rad Chef. Find more recipes at www.EmilyEllyn.com.